Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Alternative to Detentions

This week I've been substitute teaching for a Math Special Education teacher. It's always nice being at the same school for a few days in a row. I'm even starting to feel like a member of the team.

Anyway, one thing I've seen one of the other teachers doing that I love is that instead of giving students detention for chewing gum, coming late or whatever, she puts them to work! She's had a stream of students coming in during lunch to help her file papers for 20 minutes each. I think that's genius. Not only is her paper pile shrinking by the day, but the students are being productive.

Detention is pretty useless as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't deter students from repeating the same behaviors. However, putting them to work may be more effective. I mean how much paper filing or board cleaning or pencil sharpening can one student handle before deciding to straighten up. I think system of community service in relation to the violated rule would be a whole lot more effective than detention.

No comments: